‘Koro Boys hacked my husband to death over soccer dispute with our sons’
April 15, 2017
The Nerd Community
0 Comments
ABUJA MOTHER BEGS IGP FOR JUSTICE
By Caleb Ayansina Tunga Maje on the outskirts
of the Federal Capital Territory ( FCT) was thrown into mourning as
59-year-old Shuaibu Tijani was allegedly killed by a group of boys from
Koro village.
Habibat-Tijani
Besides the Gbagis, who are natives of the FCT, Koro people are also regarded as indigenous people in Abuja.
Sunday Vanguard gathered that Tijani, who hailed from
Ofejiji-Oganenugu in Dekina Local Government Area of Kogi State, was
killed following a dispute between his children and Koro boys, who
were described as notorious.
“A visit to the deceased’s residence, located at Angwa Bassa by New
Poultry in Tunga Maje, revealed an atmosphere enveloped by mourning as
neighbours and sympathisers thronged the place to console the family.
One of the late Tijani’s sons, Sani, said the boys, numbering about
12, stormed their residence at Angwa Bassa, brandishing cutlasses,
knives and sticks, with the aim of attacking him and his brother, Salam.
Narrating how it all started, 23-year-old Sani said: “We were playing
football at a field in Tunga Maje, on Tuesday, April 4, 2017, when a
boy came and he was asked to be the goalkeeper for my team, but I
declined, because he was not good. I decided to be the goalkeeper and
the boy insulted me.
“My younger brother, Salam, who was at the field, cautioned the boy
to stop insulting me since I am not his age mate. “The boy and his
colleagues started threatening my brother and me, boasting they would
come for us later.
“At night, around 8pm, they arrived at our residence, about 12 of
them, with cutlasses, knives and some of them holding sticks. They
started looking for Salam, who was at a chemist store watching
television. I quickly ran to him, called him out and urged him to go and
hide in the room. But as soon as I came out, I saw my father advancing
to the boys to ask them what could have gone wrong.
“They attacked him and he fell down. They hit his head on a stone.
“Even while my mother and all of us were battling to rescue my dad,
the boys stayed around threatening to deal with me and my brother. It
was then that my mother left my dad and went to report the case at Tunga
Maje Police Station.”
According to the wife of the deceased, Habibat Tijani, who wept as
she narrated the killing, said the police officers at Tunga Maje were
reluctant to follow her as they were afraid of the Koro boys.
“Even the police officer that later followed me home saw that despite
my husband’s condition, some of the boys stayed around, threatening to
do and undo. With the officer, we carried my husband to the station at
Tunga Maje,”she stated.
“There, they transferred the case to Zuba Divisional Police
Headquarters and we carried my husband to the station in Zuba. It was in
this process that my husband died”.
Mrs Tijani, who called on well-meaning Nigerians to intervene in the
matter, appealed to the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to
ensure that the killers of her husband were brought to justice.
“While speaking separately, some residents of the area described the late Tijani as friendly and easy-going.
At the Zuba Police Station, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) in
charge of the case, Alhassan, popularly called Dan-Fulani, described
the incident as unfortunate.“
When asked if any arrest had been made, he said the police were on the trail of the suspected killers.
“It is a case of homicide. We have to be careful on how we carry out arrest so that the boys do not end up fleeing,” he said.
Efforts made to see the DPO were unsuccessful. However, sources at
the police station revealed that the village where the boys reside had
been a serious concern to the police.“
One of the sources described the area as a den of criminals.
“Last Friday, two policemen were killed by the overhead bridge at
Tunga Maje. In fact, sometime ago, those Koro boys threatened to burn
down our station at Tunga Maje. So if we swoop on the village to arrest
the boys, that may be dangerous. We want to go through their village
chief and we are working on that,” the source said. Calling back the
IPO, Alhassan, a week later to get the update on the killing, he
explained that they had met with the District Head of Koro and they
were advised to tread cautiously to be able to nab the boys using their
parents.
He dismissed the insinuation that the police were not doing enough to
arrest and prosecute the alleged perpetrators, adding that the
complainants, Sani and his brother, who knew ‘those boys’ had traveled
for the burial of their father.
“We have met with the village head and he promised to assist us, but
he advised us to follow it calmly because those boys are at large”, the
IPO said. He said he (village head) will get the parents and the parents
will know how to get their children.
“We also met with the chief of Igala in Tunga Maje and he said we should give him time to resolve the issue.
“They (Sani and his brother) are the ones the district head will use
to point the boys house by house for us to get them, because we (police)
don’t know them.
“It is not that the police are reluctant to do something. Action is seriously taken.
The late Tijani has since been buried in his home town, Ofejiji-Oganenugu, according to Islamic rites.
0 Comments:
You can subscribe to our e-mail